Sports talk, and articles for the thinker. Reach me at MadStorkSports@yahoo.com with your thoughts

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Gary Carter Passes, But The Kid Will Never Die

Photo: Ray Stubblebine/Reuters

I remember the announcement like it was yesterday, and yes
some of the facts get a little blurry after 29 years, but
there was an announcement on Monday Night Football that
the New York Mets had made a blockbuster trade to acquire
Gary Carter form the Montreal Expos. Yes, you read right,
they announced it during a FOOTBALL game, so you knew it
was BIG news. So many feelings ran through me, because
one of my favorite Mets was being traded to Montreal in
the package, Hubie Brooks, but once I got over that part
of the process, all I could think is how good the Mets
were gonna be, and good they were.

The Mets only won one title with that group, and they
probably should have, and could have won more, but they
haven't won one since, so they obviously made the right
move. People will talk and say many things about Gary
Carter, like the rally he started against the Red Sox
in game six to stave off elimination, and eventually win
that game and the series, or that he never met a camera
or microphone he didn't like. What you will also find
though, is that just about every single thing you hear
will attach his smile to it, and his infectious energy.

Gary Carter wasn't my favorite Met, but maybe he should
have been. I was more of a Keith Hernandez fan, but that
doesn't matter today, because I miss him like many Mets
and baseball fans everywhere, and realize the the world
is just not as good a place without him in it.

R.I.P. Kid, you were one of a kind!


Don't Believe In Plays, Believe In Players - Al Davis

No comments: