Sports talk, and articles for the thinker. Reach me at MadStorkSports@yahoo.com with your thoughts

Saturday, January 28, 2012

NY Mets Embrace Mediocrity And Induct John Franco

AP Photo

This certainly is not meant to demean anyone or even
offend John Franco, but he is the latest former Met
to be inducted into the NY Mets Hall Of Fame. Wait,
What? Really? Is this the example the Mets want to
set? Inducting a guy who was 54-56 in his time with
you, had 276 saves over 14 years or 19.8 per season,
and managed to blow 64 save opportunities or 4.8 per
season(4 to 1 ratio), and say he is worthy of being
a member of your "Hall Of Fame"? What did I miss?

I have been a Mets fan my entire life, and a loyal
one at that. I like John Franco, and wish he was
better than he was, but please don't ask me to admit
that he is worthy of being a member of a group that
is fairly noteworthy. I looked at that list, and
though it isn't in numerical order of importance, I
can say this: If it were numbered first to last, you
would have to put Tom Seaver at #1, and John Franco
dead last, and there is NO question about those two
spots what so ever. And by the way, if you're going
to write in and tell me that he is the all time saves
leader among lefties, I don't want to hear it, it a
fluff stat that means little to nothing in the grand
scheme of things.

The NY Mets organization has now not only failed their
fans on the field, and in the office, but they have now
made us the laughing stock of intelligent baseball fans
everywhere. Yes even more than we already were.
I wish I had more words or facts for this piece, but it's
blatantly obvious that this is a bad move, I won't bother.


Don't Believe In Plays, Believe In Players - Al Davis

No comments: