Sports talk, and articles for the thinker. Reach me at MadStorkSports@yahoo.com with your thoughts

Sunday, September 16, 2007

Sudden Death or Easy Way Out?

It Seems that every year the NFL has a weekend
were there is more than one overtime game in the
same week, and that's when the whispers begin.

Though yesterday's games didn't have the usual
three or four games go into overtime, it did have
two
.
In one, both teams had a chance to go on offense,
so no debate there, but in the other only one team
touched the ball, scored, GAME OVER!

What do you think?

Are they doing this to avoid injury to the players
after a long and tiring game (i.e. protect their
investments), or because they are just to stubborn
to try something else. I'm not sure, but I do sense
that the NFL fan base doesn't like this first come
first serve attitude used in overtime.

In the NBA, MLB, NHL, and even Pro Soccer,
all teams get to touch the ball/puck, even in sudden
death situations. A few years back the NCAA changed
how they dealt with ties at the end of regulation.
Where it used to end in a tie, they devised a way
where each team got possession at least once, just
like baseball with a top and bottom of the inning of sorts.

I don't have the solution, but I know I don't like the
answer. You?.............................................I'm all ears.

No comments: