Sports talk, and articles for the thinker. Reach me at MadStorkSports@yahoo.com with your thoughts

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

New York, New York

So nice they named it twice, and tonight that's
what you get from the NY baseball teams, double
the pleasure. As luck would have it, you can
see and enjoy them both if you like. What I'm
talking about is the season debut as a starter of
Joba Chamberlain, and what could be the season
debut period of Pedro Martinez after only going
3 1/3 innings on the second day of the 2008
season before hurt against Florida. Hopefully
neither will turn out to be a dud, but if there
is a candidate to be a dud it has to be the Joba
one. Pedro at this stage in his career has nothing
to prove, but this Joba experiment has all the
makings of a bomb. At least in my opinion.
I think the Yankees are making a huge mistake
making this kid a starter. You have a guy who
can easily have a positive effect on about 70-90
games per season for you, but instead you decide
that you would rather see him start. Maybe it's
me but I'm not sure I get it. Yes Pedro too
started his career as a reliever, but I don't
remember him having the sort of success in
the bullpen as Joba is having. For what it's
worth, I think this is a big mistake, only time
will tell.

No comments: